Simplicity












I'm fairly certain that none of us ever have a distinct intention to become so overwhelmed with life that we struggle to keep up, but more frequently than ever we all are wishing for things to "slow down".  I believe, in large part, that our place in time dictates much of the craziness. However, I know there are certain ways we can try to make our life reflect more of our convictions and priorities rather than blindly battling our way from one task to the next.

Several years ago, in the midst of home schooling journey, it became glaringly aware that I was over allocated. I found myself so booked it was difficult to get kids to all of their activities and outside the home lessons. I juggled and tweaked to no avail.  I won't bore you with the details, but let's just say I had my hand in too many pies. When I looked at my day to day life and asked myself if it was a reflection of what my priorities truly were, the answer was no. Slowly, I begin to restructure to try to meet a daily life that somewhat mirrored what was important in my heart.

Not getting over allocated is a constant challenge to me. I love to learn, I love to help, and I like to be productive. I often find myself saying, "YES!" to offers and situations that I need to decline. So, more than ever, I'm trying to be aware. There are a few things that I find make my journey a little easier.

I have to decide what is important to me. At the time in my life I referred to above, I wanted to make sure we were having family meals together. I wanted to have unstructured learning time for the children. The experience of community service was important for me. Although I never got to a "perfect balance". I made enough changes that it was reflecting my priorities. Our life has changed to the point that family dinners are less and less frequent as my children head into adulthood, so I'm very grateful of the days when they were a given.

Contentment comes in simplicity for me.  I find I toss out more "things" than ever..... valuing experience over "stuff".  I let go of the need to "keep up with the Jones'" years ago.  I do not want my life to be a vicious cycle that I can't keep up with. I'm not the gal that is making myself mad from a bucket list.....striving to make it to every concert, movie, gala event, etc. that I can manage.  I am the gal that looks forward to every time her family is together, the just-a- bit quirky lady with cats....the definitely out-of-fashion girl who wants her husband with her as much as possible. I'm the girl with lots of flaws doing her best to make life's moments count in her perpetual effort to simplify.


Simplicity is the glory of expression. ~ Walt Whitman




Comments

Popular Posts