DIFFERENT








Recently, I was thinking back on my life....examining each season, remembering events, and recalling childhood memories. My mind eventually settled on an encounter that I have thought of from time to time, although it's not a spectacular moment.

I hadn't been married very long and was visiting a friend.  The friend's mom was there with us as we chatted about things going on in our lives. Eventually the conversation took a turn to my life. Specifically me "staying with" certain standards I had been taught and that my Dad always held us to.
This wasn't the first time someone older than me had questioned my decisions and expressed doubt at the possibility that I would "adhere to my upbringing" once I was out from under my parent's home.
After questioning me about several things, the mom said, "No one can be perfect."
I responded with, "If perfection was the goal, we'd all be in trouble." There was so much more I wanted to say, I felt a little defensive (young age and all) but I wasn't going to be rude.

I've found that more friends of the same faith have issue with how I dress, talk, and live than others.  I'm not certain why that is, but I have found it to be so.  My thoughts on those things follow.....

First and foremost, I'm *very* grateful for how I was raised.  My upbringing was wonderful.

As far back as I can remember I always wore dresses and skirts, as that was the standard of our household. When I was school age it wasn't the most common occurrence, even within our churches.
As years passed, after I was saved and so forth, I had my own convictions. It had nothing to do with me being better, holier, or closer to God than anyone else. Our church has no rule that women must refrain from wearing pants. For me, this was a way to maintain femininity, modesty, and be apart. Also,  as not shopping on Sunday, staying away from more "common culture" entertainment venues, not having a TV in our home, and a multitude of other decisions, it was better for us in that we had set ourselves apart in an effort to maintain a Christian home. We are not perfect....not even close. We struggle, have regrets, question our efforts, and so forth.

We didn't want our children growing up being desensitized by so much of what accepted as "OK" in the world today. This played a big role in a lot of our decisions as young parents.  As they have grown up, our children make their own decisions concerning much of their lives. We, too, have standards in our household, but on many situations we encourage them to make their own decisions.  Our plan isn't perfect, nor is it fool proof, but we work it with the best intentions and prayer.

And, last, but perhaps most importantly.....my life and its contents play a big role in my commune with God. Some will understand this, others will not. When I pray....when my words, on that not-often-enough-occasion, become actual prayer.....my life is reflected in front of me.  I can't reach the spirit, much less the power, I am seeking if I have stepped outside of those lines my heart knows.
I try to keep a clean life....not marred in the world. It's the reason why I refrain from certain activities and events, the reason I'm not going to  laugh at sexual innuendos in a group, or discuss inappropriate topics in mixed company. It's the reason I'm not comfortable with engaging in the entertainment industry on so many levels. It's nothing at all to do with perfection, it's just what I have to do in order to keep myself clear. If there's someone in need....I want to be able to go to my Lord and pray without having to repent for myself first every time. I come short of this and I make messes....I have to repent of my short-comings.....but there are standards I keep for a reason.
It's the same with our marriage. We have standards we keep in order to care for our union. We don't visit, have dinner, go out with, etc. the opposite sex alone. We speak kindly to each other.....and don't intentionally hurt the other. It's not popular in society, it's mocked and looked down on, but side by side...the marriages that take care to shelter the sanctity of the union are stronger and last. It's not about anyone being better....or above trouble....it's about realizing the importance and investing in that accordingly.



None of us know what we will face down the road....I've always been reluctant to make broad sweeping statements of opinion, because I simply do not know what a person's circumstances are. It is my heart's desire to live a life in which I can serve God to his satisfaction now and then. I want to help my brothers and sisters on my journey, and I hope to have those who will help me when I'm in need.  My salvation is the only thing I will be leaving this life with....and for me that is worth investing in.

**The picture is one Julia snapped coming home from church one Sunday a few years ago. Alex was learning to drive, so he was in the driver's seat. Jarrod was seated behind me. #littlethings

Comments

Popular Posts